Specialists in Serious Fraud and Complex Criminal Defence
MPR solicitors instructed in Fraud case at Basildon Crown Court
We have been retained to advise and represent two defendants in a conspiracy to defraud and money laundering case at Basildon Crown Court. The case centres around allegations of national and international fraud conducted on a nationally known charitable organisation. It is envisaged that multi-jurisdictional issues will be raised in this case including international asset forfeiture and tracing. Restraint proceedings and freezing orders are currently being challenged by the team at MPR solicitors.
At MPR Solicitors, we specialise in serious and complex fraud cases and our lawyers have access to back-office support to enable them to digest large amounts of paperwork in an efficient and pro-active manner.
Fraud cases require analytical experience and tactical legal judgement. At MPR Solicitors, fraud cases are always Partner-led and we offer a bespoke service to our national and international clients often involving off-site meetings in foreign jurisdictions. Our Head office is ideally placed within 15 minutes of Heathrow airport for easy access to our international clients. Whilst our City of London office caters for corporate entities and those working in The City.
We can offer specialist legal advice and representation in the following areas:
Offences under the Fraud Act 2006
- Counterfeit goods and Trademark Infringement
- MTIC (Missing Trader Intra-Community) Fraud/Carousel Fraud
- Carbon Credit fraud
- Credit Card and cheque fraud
- Possession of False Instruments to commit fraud
- Social Security Benefit Fraud
- Tax Evasion and Tax Investigations (The Dawn Raids by HMRC)
- Factoring Fraud
- Insurance Fraud
- Employee Fraud/Embezzlement/Breach of Trust Fraud
- Advance Fee Fraud
- Insider Dealing (Primary and Secondary Markets)
At MPR Solicitors, we have the experience in all types of fraud and complex business crime and can put in place at very short notice a cohesive pro-active defence team to assist individuals and corporate entities being investigated by the authorities. MPR Solicitors have close ties and links with forensic accountants experienced in producing reports and financial analysis of a standard required for expert evidential purposes in a court of law. We also have close ties and working relationships with specialist highly skilled barristers and QCs (Queens Counsel) in the area of fraud work, tax investigations and serious company/financial related crime. MPR’s Senior Partner is also a senior barrister specialising in all aspects of serious fraud work and business crime and has been involved is some of the largest fraud cases in the jurisdiction of England & Wales.
We understand that many people facing fraud charges or being investigated for fraud/economic crime have never faced criminal proceedings and the process can be very stressful for the individuals and their families. For example, a dawn raid by officials from HMRC waking the family in the early hours of the morning, conducting meticulous searches of the home or company premises without notice can be distressing. Most people would not know their rights and entitlements in such situations. That is why at MPR Solicitors, we are on call 24 hours a day and can deploy experienced lawyers to be present during a raid and can advise at every step of the way in an understanding and sympathetic manner whilst being robust and strategic with the authorities. Sometimes, these types of investigations require parallel proceedings in the High Court to fight freezing orders and we can arrange appropriate legal representation.
Below are some examples of fraud cases in which MPR Solicitors have been instructed in:
- Lottery Funding Fraud being investigated by the City of London Police
- Husband and Wife prosecuted for alleged fraud whilst being employed by the Ministry of Defence
- Allegations of Conspiracy to defraud and Fraud by False Representation by DWP against individuals in an Access to Work programme run by JobCentre Plus grant scheme whereby it is alleged over £1 million was defrauded
- Factoring Fraud by a Recruitment Consultant being investigated by the City of London Police
- A conspiracy to defraud by employees of a major international airline at Heathrow Airport
- Large-scale Benefit Fraud Investigation linked to a HMRC tax evasion investigation
- MOD Police investigation into an alleged fraud by an employee
- HMRC tax investigation on undeclared income arising from bank interest and rents from buy-to-let properties
- Acting for two solicitors alleged to be involved in a multi-million pound conspiracy to defraud being investigated by City of London police with parallel proceedings in the High Court; including Regulatory and Professional Discipline issues.